History Of CHS


The Central Hindu Boys School had been established on July 7, 1898 in a rented house at Karnaghanta in Varanasi by noted freedom fighter , renowned Social Worker ,very kind hearted figure, an Irish lady Dr. Annie Besant. After that the then Kashi Naresh Maharaja Prabhu Narayan Singh donated a building in Kamachha where Dr. Annie Besant had shifted the college on March 1899 .

On the basis of request letter, senate of Allahabad University approved this college up to intermediate level.

Dr. Arthur Richardson, a Science graduate from England became the first Principal of this school on honorarium basis.

Dr. Annie Besant handed over the college and school to society of Banaras Hindu University in 1914 with the condition that this institution shall be maintained and looked after by the Banaras Hindu University. Up to 1976, the Banaras Hindu University had been conducting X class examinations of the school as Admission Examination. Various Pre university courses, e.g. Pre Medical, Pre. Engineering, Pre Agriculture etc. at XI & XII class level were introduced from time to time. The Pre University courses ran here until the university adopted new 10+2 education system in 1976, when the school was affiliated to CBSE for examination of X & XII class. The great astronomer and Meteorologist Dr. J.V. Narilakar had been the student of this institution.

The school has been centre of learning for students not only from all nook and corners of India but also from abroad.